Search This Blog

Friday, November 7, 2008

Turkeys at work

A small flock of wild turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo silvestris) have been visiting us for about a week now and I finally had the camera at work. It's not the best picture; taken through the window in the rainy afternoon but I thought it interesting. They come to eat the fruits on the ornamental trees - I think they're some variety of tiny apple. I tried to get a shot of the turkeys up in the trees but I couldn't hold the camera still enough. I work in a very urban area, but as you can see, it doesn't take much cover to attract wildlife.

3 comments:

  1. Are you a vegetarian or hoping to fatten one of these up??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh. Golly. Gee whiz. I would give a lot for them to land in my backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't hunt, byt I have friends who do, and they very much enjoy their wild turkey. They're quite wary and it's not that easy to catch one unawares.

    The turkey population rises and falls opposite the fox population as I understand it. When the foxes become more numerous, they raid the turkey nests and eat eggs and young. When the fox population declines, the turkeys rapidly repopulate.

    We're actually on a bit of a turkey downturn at the moment. A few years ago one could see them in the green verges aside the highways almost all the time.

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin