Search This Blog

Friday, July 10, 2009

Skywatch Friday

It's Friday, and for many photo bloggers, that means it's time to post photographs of their sky. Visit the Skywatch Friday web page to see all the wonderful photographs from round the world.

We've had a very wet summer here. If it doesn't rain all day, a storm is sure to move through and dump an inch (25mm) of rain on us in an hour. This is the aftermath of just such a storm.

I think it's very difficult to photograph a rainbow and I'm rather in awe of people who seem to manage it on a regular basis. I suppose it's a matter of practise, practise, practise!

One thing I've learnt to do now that I'm using a digital camera is to take lots and lots of shots; try different settings. It's not like I'm wasting film any more! I'm using a 1999 Nikon Coolpix 950, with a 28mm filter size. That makes it somewhat difficult to find filters - certainly none of my Minolta film camera filters fit! On the other hand, it's possible to hold a 58mm filter in front of the 28mm diameter lens :-)

And so I experimented with several filters, including a polariser, a UV filter and a variable grade filter. Strangely enough, the photo posted here was taken with my polarised prescription sunglasses in front of the camera lens. Photography can be an interesting exercise sometimes.

3 comments:

  1. Great photo, I agree about getting rainbow shots, usually I do not have my camera when I see one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot!!! Well worth the experimenting!

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin