Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Albany 2nd Regiment


This is a photo of part of the encampment of the Albany 2nd Regiment at the 1812 Muster held at the Mabee Farm.  The Albany 2nd are a group of re-creators who show what it's like to live as an 18th century soldier.  I had the camera set on the wrong white balance.  The photo out of the camera was hideous, so I touched it up with the Gimp.  My wife says it looks more period-like.  I agree, but the effect is wholly accidental!

If you are a City Daily Photo visitor, the October theme will be Silhouettes.  Thanks, Julie!

LensMinolta MD 50mm f/1.4
F Numberunrecorded
Focal Length50.0 mm
Exposure Time1/500
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO100
Exposure Compensation0
FlashOff, Did not fire

2 comments:

  1. It's an endless debate whether we should touch up photos or even change them dramatically with the use of tools like Photoshop. I think it takes a lot of knowledge and practice to take perfect photographs out of camera (I am learning and still am far away from perfect). Especially the white balance is tricky in digital cameras (that problem did not exist with the old film cameras), so if you take an interesting photo and need to touch it a bit to fix the WB, I think it's OK. Then there is the next level of changing photos dramatically for an artistic effect, which I think it's also OK, but then I look at photos like this more as a painting, just painted with electronic brush. Here I am talking not only about changing colours but also about twisting and turning the image, for example, to achieve a totally different picture.
    Thanks for stopping by at Polonica: Home Again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is OK to post-process a photo. Some people have incredible imagination and tremendous skill - I envy them that! I myself am not very talented with post-processing, so for me it isn't often I try. Maybe if I tried more often I'd be better at it!

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin