Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Blue bells?

I don't know the name of this flower; maybe blue bells? These flowers grow in nooks and crannies in the sidewalk and in other waste places. That probably means they're native to the area. Another hint is that I've never seen them deliberately grouped in a flower bed. Why is it that native plants are second-class citizens?

I think they're quite nice. About the only other blue flower (OK, this is more violet than blue) I see a lot of is chicory and that too is considered a weed, only growing freely in places that people don't care enough to mow them down.

1 comment:

  1. Hiya Buck,

    Their bells may be blue, but they are Campanula's. Which of course are bells :-)
    They started off wild in my garden, everywhere and I love them.
    From whatever cause they doubled and tripled and even qaudrupled the number of petals. Some of them. No idea why, but I think it is a phenomenon called fasciation ( bundling).

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin