Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2012

Chicory


I took this on the way to the Sunday Greenmarket.  It's chicory.  Around here, it's considered a weed; tough, hard to kill and grows in places other plants don't.  Like the little crack between the asphalt parking lot and the concrete sidewalk.  What caught my eye wasn't that it was there - it's so common it;s easy to overlook.  No, what caught my eye is that it's flowering now - in June.  That's very early; maybe as much as a month early. This particular plant hasn't many flowers, but it's doing quite well for the spot it's growing in!

F Number5.6
Lens ID-45mm F3.5-5.6
Focal Length34.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 68.0 mm)
Exposure Time1/1300
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO200
Exposure Compensation0
FlashOff, Did not fire

4 comments:

  1. When I was a kid ... yeah yeah here we go ... well ... when I was a kid, there was a bottle in our pantry labelled 'Chicory'. My mother used it instead of coffee. We were quite poor, and her origins were poorer still. It was perhaps not that she could ot afford coffee (which she could not), but more so that she did not know anything about coffee.

    I have no idea whether that black syrupy liquid came from a plant or from a plastics factory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably was chicory. Those who lived through WWII have related they used chicory when coffee was in short supply. As a tea drinker, I never tried it, but perhaps I will!

      Delete
  2. I sometimes think my house is in a special microclimate. Everywhere I go the flowers are blooming, but nothing much has come out at my house yet. I'll take flowers whereever I can see them though, even chicory! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that means you'll get an extra special giant blooming when the rest of us are waiting for the next round. Here's hoping!

      Delete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin