Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Monthly theme day - The Creative Artisan

On the first of each month, the City Daily Photo community choose a theme and many of us post our interpretation.  This month, the theme is The Creative Artisan.  Please click the link to see the photos from around the world which realise this theme!

This is a difficult one for me.  I don't take many photos of people, and I was sorely tempted to post a photo of the unusual but beautifully green skunk cabbage and post it as Mother Nature The Artisan.  But I felt that would be not really in the spirit of the theme.  So I started looking back through the archives until I found this.  It was taken in April of 2012 at the Schenectady Greenmarket.  Several of the vendors there are crafters - artisans in the classic sense.  This is Christine, and she works in glass.  Mosaics, to be more precise.  I love to look at her work, which she does between customers.  I never took a close-up of her work because it feels rude to me, but perhaps I should make a point of asking her.  She does large work like the chess set and mirrors, and she does some amazing small work too; real works of art, like paintings done in glass fragments.  The posting here is a crop from a larger photo.  I didn't have my Minolta lens adapter, so I'm afraid it's a bit grainy.  But somehow, that seems fitting for someone who works with mosaics!

F Number5.6
Lens IDLUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
Focal Length45.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 90.0 mm)
Exposure Time1/60
Exposure ProgramAperture-priority AE
ISO3200
Exposure Compensation0
FlashOff, Did not fire

8 comments:

  1. Mosaic is a form of art, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always wanted to try mosaics! in fact, i've got quite a bit of glass and pottery that i have found in the creek to use....one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her concentration - I am sure she creates beautiful mosaics. Nice archival finds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must take a patient spirit to fit pieces of a mosaic together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You prove why Theme Days are good fun. This is great and you should take more photos of people...you will enjoy it and so will the person you are photographing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks like a colorful person. Nice theme day shot. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, her work looks amazing! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine is a very colourful person and she's been remarkably patient with me when I ask questions about the work she's making when I see her. She gives lessons in mosaics; maybe I'll take some classes!

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin