Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lock gate gear

This gear is the last bit in the geartrain that opens and closes the lock gates - the big doors that hold the water back.  I had a long chat with the lock keeper at Lock 9 one day and he was very patient with me.  I thought that the water pressure against these doors would be so immense that gears like this wouldn't stand a chance.

I was right.

Basically, the doors are only shifted when the water is at the same level on both sides of the door.  Obvious in retrospect, but I had an Aha! over that.

This particular gear is the upstream side of Lock 7 in Niskayuna.  Vischer Ferry is the official location I think.  I found it incredible that the river had got all the way up here - you can see the mud caking the bolt at the right rear.  Amazing technology, these locks.  Almost all of it dating back to the early parts of the 1900s.


F Number5.4
Lens IDLUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
Focal Length33.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 66.0 mm)
Exposure Time1/30
Exposure ProgramProgram AE
ISO400
Exposure Compensation0
FlashOff, Did not fire

1 comment:

  1. I am SO in awe of our locks! They are rightfully a source of pride. Beautifully made, usually lovingly maintained. We don't make things like this anymore. I think it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin