Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Monthly theme day - Electricity


Today is the first of March, and on the first of every month, the City Daily Photo community choose a theme for each of us to interpret.  This month, the theme is Electricity. Click here to view thumbnails for all participants.

I was a bit at a loss for this one.  I'm an amateur radio operator, so the first thing I thought of was an electronic circuit board.  I've got plenty of them around in various stages of completion.  But they don't say 'electricity' to me.  So then I thought about all those electric wires running down the street - that would be 'electric' enough, and representative of where I live, but I think that may be too representative.  So then I started thinking about ways to be creative, but it wasn't until I was preparing a mug of tea that this idea occurred to me.

It's the electronic igniter on the stove.  We have a stove that uses natural gas as fuel, but there aren't any pilot lights; no 'always on' flame like my old stove had.  Instead, there is an electronic igniter that creates a spark when the gas knob is turned to the 'start' position... a spark?  A spark!  Electricity!

I turned the exhaust fan on so that I didn't flood the kitchen with gas, removed the diffuser plate and snapped several photos of sparks in action.  I ended up cropping and enlarging the igniter so that the spark was more impressive.

F Number5.6
Lens IDLUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
Focal Length45.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 90.0 mm)
Exposure Time1/30
Exposure ProgramShutter speed priority AE
ISO1600
Exposure Compensation0
FlashOff, Did not fire

5 comments:

  1. That is impressive . . . well planned and executed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice. Very artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really went above and beyond with this Theme Day! We used to have a gas stove with an igniting system like yours. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin