Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mohawk beaded collar

This is a beaded collar made by Niioieron Perkins of velvet, cotton, satin and glass beads. It's currently on display at Union College's North By Northeast exhibition, courtesy of the Akwesasne Museum. I can't imagine how long it took to make this. It's beautiful, and I'm glad I got to see it.

The Mohawks gave their name to the river that Schenectady is built on. Their culture predates the Europeans here by who knows how many hundreds or thousands of years. We don't get to see much of that culture any more.

3 comments:

  1. It's a shame that it's been so devastated. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UA has a lot to do with the Akwesasne nation still, lot of research going on to make their health status improve. Hopefully there will be a revival in their beautiful culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Buck, This side-tracked me from your skywatch post. I thin this collar is beautiful, and I'm sure it took hours of careful work to get the beads just so.
    I understand Earl has been downgraded today...

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin