Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Icy needles

This needs some explanation. This is one of the blocks of ice washed up onto the sidewalk by the Mohawk River. I have no idea how long it's been out of the water, so I don't know if the crystalline structure is how it was made (the way it froze) or how it is being unmade (crystallising as it melts and re-freezes). Each of these crystals is about the size of a crochet needle.

At any rate, the whole block looks like this, and it's quite beautiful in contrast with the dark crust on the top (upper left). When I encountered this, all of the crystals were still lined up in their ranks, but as I stopped to admire it, and frame the photo, Roku the puppy walked over it, dislodging some of them. Twice.

I think he improved the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin