Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Seasonal food



For me, one of the best things about the Schenectady Greenmarket is that it is a showcase for local farms.  Local farmers grow food that thrives in our area, our climate, our seasons.  I have to confess a weakness for seasonal cuisine.  I look forward to the tomatoes ripe off the vine, apples fresh from the orchard - oh, those apples!  Apples that have been stored are a faint shadow of these magnificent fruits that are available now.

This is a display from last week's market, with Indian Corn on the left, ornamental gourds behind that,  a green, speckled swan gourd and white pumpkin on the right.  These are all considered ornamental by most people here, but they are all edible and unlike apples, store well too. 

F Number7.1
Lens IDLUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
Focal Length45.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 90.0 mm)
Exposure Time1/320
Exposure ProgramProgram AE
ISO200
Exposure Compensation0
FlashOff, Did not fire

3 comments:

  1. I think the pumpkins and gourds are way cooler today than when I was growing up!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swan gourd? So that's what they're called! I agree, local farm fresh vegetables have much more flavor than your typical grocery chain offerings.

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin