Search This Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Shrimp moult


The oldest has been keeping a marine (salt water) fish tank for a while now.  One of the residents of that tank is a Skunk Shrimp, Lysmata amboinensis. Apparently the tank agrees with it, because it moults every few weeks.  The first time it happened, I thought it had died, but then it occurred to me that it wouldn't have... dissolved from the inside.  Sure enough, the shrimp was off doing its thing elsewhere.



The shrimp actively seeks out the fish, trying to clean them.  The fish took some time to get accustomed to this, but they all seem to enjoy it now.



LensMinolta MD 50mm f/1.4
F Number1.4
Focal Length50.0 mm
Exposure Time1/80
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO400
Exposure Compensation0
FlashOff, Did not fire

4 comments:

  1. That is so fascinating! I thought the shrimp was translucent—the shell is so complete, whiskers and all! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it incredible that he can completely withdraw from his old shell - those whiskery antennae are quite long, about as long as the distance between my pinky and thumb with my hand outstretched. An amazing little creature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of a skunk shrimp before reading this. How fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm familiared with tropical salt water shrimps and these are beauties. I keep tropical fresh water tanks. And shrimps too! :-)

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin