Search This Blog

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Jewelweed

Went to soccer practise and while wandering round the outskirts of the field, came across this orange jewelweed. Sometimes called touch-me-not, it has seed pods that burst when touched, sending the spring-loaded seeds away from the mother plant. This is a very common sight around here; anywhere there's a bit of dampness with some sun.

This is the time of year when the flowers are most often noticed, after the other wildflowers have begun to die off. Children (and the occasional adult!) love to wander through the bushes, touching the seed pods to watch the seeds fly through the air.

1 comment:

  1. Hiya, me again,
    We lived in upstate NY for some years and photographed wild flowers there. I was always so delighted to find familiar flowers in a totally different colour. This jewelweed is pink over here in the UK. The way it scatters its seeds in an explosion is the same. Related to Busy Lizzie or Impatiens.

    My husband did the photography in those days, and I had to hold the tea cloth that kept the breeze at bay :-) We scanned them the other day. Wish we had a digital camera then.

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin