Search This Blog

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Leaf in ice

One of the things we sometimes get to see in late winter is this: a leaf in it's own leaf-shaped hole in the ice.

Oak leaves seem to stay on the tree through the winter, finally dropping off just before spring arrives. Sometimes, a leaf will land on the ice on a calm day. The sun shines on it, and warms the ice under it just enough to melt a very thin layer, which evaporates. Bit by bit, the leaf melts its way into the ice until it rests at the bottom of a deep, leaf-shaped hole.

One of nature's miracles!

4 comments:

  1. I think that's so pretty! I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty amazing - I'd no idea anything like that ever happened!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snow in my part of Switzerland doesn't last long enough for this to happen.

    I see you have a Coolpix 950 as well. I can't bear to part with mine because of the quality of the macro as you say. If you haven't noticed it, I always place a line with 'Coolpix' at the bottom of the posts which carry photos from that camera. A couple more examples should be appearing the next two days.

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin