Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Snapping turtle


I was walking down in Vale on Sunday, and it was bright and sunny.  Despite the draining and construction on the pond down there in the fall and winter, the wildlife seems to be doing fine.  This snapping turtle was sunning itself near the bank, and I walked very slowly until my 100mm equivalent lens had a decent chance of capturing it.  Even still, I could see its eyes watching me, so I ended up cropping this image so the turtle was more prominent.  I estimate the shell is between 18 and 24 inches from front to back.

LensMinolta MD 50mm f1.4
F Number4.0? (didn't record it)
Focal Length50.0 mm
Exposure Time1/2000
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO100
Exposure Compensation0
FlashOff, Did not fire

2 comments:

  1. We have snapping turtles lurking around and they also reach these sizes. I'm told the females lay their eggs in summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes!! That is a good size turtle. Sucker would take your fingers off if given the chance!

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin