Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

Theme Day: Wood

The first day of the month is Theme Day in the City Daily Photo Blogger community, and this month's theme is wood. Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

Here in Upstate New York, I am literally surrounded by wood. Most houses are made of wood, there are forests with growing wood, fallen wood, decayed wood. Wood lies in piles at the lumber yards and home improvement stores. I have wooden window casings, stair cases, doors, jambs - it's just about impossible for me to look anywhere and not see wood.

Which made this theme a wonderful challenge. How on earth does one 'see' wood in a different way? Some way that reflects Schenectady? As you might guess, often it's the most familiar of objects which reveal themselves in the most startling of ways. For me, today, it's the ubiquitous telephone pole.

A squirrel lead me to this 'discovery.' It's at the end of my driveway. I walk past it many times every day, and it took a squirrel running up it for me to see it this way. As an added bonus, it uses the Tenin Technique, although in the vertical dimension rather than Eric's usual horizontal format.

7 comments:

  1. Love the perspective. Which reminds me that I am going to have to practise the TT for next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot love the perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Theme Day photos are giving me a serious lesson on paying attention to the "common" things around you.

    p.s. My dad grew up in Schenectady and went to Draper High School. Does it still exist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the wonderful comments! I appreciate them all.

    Carolyn, the building is still there but it is now a private day care centre. My Dad went to Draper, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great image and perspective and use of the Tenin technique. happy theme day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! I love how you looked at this everyday item in such a unique way!

    Many of our old, wooden utility poles are now being replaced by concrete ones. They're sturdier and safer really, but I do miss the texture of the wooden poles.

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin