Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

General Electric

The General Electric plant in Schenectady is a local landmark. Once, and perhaps even still, GE was the largest single employer in the city. Today, many of the buildings at the plant have been razed for tax reasons, and much of the work is now done elsewhere.

This building is the Large Steam Turbine & Gas building. It's located right alongside Interstate 890. Or should I say that I-890 was located alongside the plant? Inside this building, Schenectady workers build steam turbines that are used in power plants all over the world. If you drive by at night in the summer, when the big door are open, often you can see some of the behemoths being built inside.


View Larger Map The General Electric plant in Schenectady. The largest building is LST&G.

3 comments:

  1. It’s so nice site. We love to see more on this site. Keep on updating… MonkAreRee Bali ***

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandfather worked there is whole life. My father worked there for several years and now my cousin works in the energy department. It has been interesting to see the changes in the area over time. I hope there is always something there to keep the city going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! I am so glad they're still being built there! I love your photo of the building facade. Very elegant logo, red type. Simple, understated, and stands for so much history. I hope that building stays there and keeps busy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

The spammers have struck. Due to this I will be moderating all comments. Sorry for the hassle, but it's the only choice because I refuse to turn on word verification.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin